The Flinders Program™ provides a consistent, reproducible approach to assessing the key components of self-management that:
- Improves the partnership between the client and health professional(s)
- Collaboratively identifies problems and therefore better (i.e. more successfully) targets interventions
- Is a motivational process for the client and leads to sustained behaviour change
- Allows measurement over time and tracks change
- Has a predictive ability, i.e. improvements in self-management behaviour as measured by the Partners in Health scale, relate to improved health outcomes.
Tools used to assess and then promote self-management:
- Partners in Health Scale
- Cue and Response interview
- Problem and Goals Statement
- Chronic Condition Management Care Plan.